Every Mcdonald's Touchscreen In Study Tests Positive For Fecal Bacteria

Forgot password?

Delete Comment

Are you sure you want to delete this comment?

Every Mcdonald's Touchscreen In Study Tests Positive For Fecal Bacteria

You'll Never Guess What They Found On McDonald's Touchscreens

I'm hatin' it.

According to the paper, they swabbed the new self-order machines in six different England locations—six in London and two in Birmingham. The breadth of different and concerning bacteria on each one worried Senior Lecturer in Microbiology at London Metropolitan University Dr. Paul Matawele, who told the Metro:

"We were all surprised how much gut and [fecal] bacteria there was on the touchscreen machines. These cause the kind of infections that people pick up in hospitals."

Poo May Be The Least Of Our WorriesOne of the screens tested was found to have staphylococcus, which is a bacteria known to cause blood poisoning and toxic shock syndrome. Dr Matawele said: ‘Seeing Staphylococcus on these machines is worrying because it is so contagious.

‘It starts around people’s noses, if they touch their nose with their fingers and then transfer it to the touchscreen someone else will get it, and if they have an open cut which it gets into, then it can be dangerous.

There is a lot of worries at the moment that staphylococcus is becoming resistant to antibiotics. However, it is still really dangerous in places like Africa where it can cause toxic shock.’

They found Listeria in the Oxford Street and Holloway Road branches. This bacteria can cause listeriosis which often leads to pregnant women to miscarriage or have stillbirths. Dr Matewele said:

‘Listeria is another rare bacterium we were shocked to find on touchscreen machines as again this can be very contagious and a problem for those with a weak immune system.’

75% of the tested screens found traces of the bacteria proteus. Dr Matewele said: ‘Proteus can be found in human and animal faeces. It is also widely distributed in soil.

It can cause urinary tract infections and is also one of the hospital acquired infections where it may responsible for septicaemia. ‘Klebsiella is also from the gut and mouth, they are associated with urinary tract infections, septicemia and diarrhoea.

Some species can infect the respiratory tract resulting in pneumonia.’

A McDonald’s spokesman has defended the restaurant saying: ‘Our self-order screens are cleaned frequently throughout the day. All of our restaurants also provide facilities for customers to wash their hands before eating.

You would think this is enough to put customers off for life, but from this video McDonald’s regulars seem unfazed.

Like
Comment
Loading comments